Monday, October 3, 2011

TIA describes perfectly the attitude here....

Our general obersavation here is that our SA colleagues are very relaxed about time schedules. Before each audit we establish an interview schedule with different topics and individual for 9am to 5pm for the first 2 weeks. Based on experience we know generally how much time is needed for each topics. Ofcourse some topics might need additional follow up depending on what we discover. Anyway, we soon discovered that 9am could be anytime between 9 or 9:30 or 10. It's crazy! Especially for someone as anal as me! Soon Federico and I started to get relaxed about the time as well! We would clarify with each other if we mean german time or south african time, lol!

Anyway, Rene was telling me a story about their wknd in kruger. Their game drive was supposed to start at a certain time but ofcourse it was delayed. One of the tourist started to complain and the guide told them "hey it's TIA" which means This Is Africa! That's so perfect! This morning the guys were driving to an external warehouse while I work at the hotel. They were supposed to meet everyone there at 10. I find the guys still eating breakfast and talking to me at 9:30. I asked Federico shouldnt they be leaving now if they are meeting everyone at 10? And he's already telling me TIA! Talk about assimilating to the local culture! Both Rene and Federico are more latin than german so I think this relaxed attitude fits them fine! Me on the other hand, I think I might have been german in one of my previous lives because I'm a stickler about time, especially when it comes to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment