Sunday, October 16, 2011

Last day in the bush! :-(

Waterbucks

Last dinner on the deck w/ full moon



Wine cellar (and tasting) at Billy's Lodge

Friday, Oct 14

12 game drives and it hasn’t gotten old. This morning Rex found fresh tracks of the leopard and really wanted to find him. At one point Frans our tracker got out of the jeep and went of foot to try to follow it’s tracks. I’ve had 3 great sightings of the leopard but by fellow travelers have not so I really wanted them to have the opportunity. Unfortunately it was not meant to be.

After breakfast it was time for me to depart for the airport. I got big hugs from Marilyn & Louis and Barb and Jen. I got their email addresses and promised to send them the link to my pics. The girls only had the small point and shoot cameras and Marilyn had a nice camera but she just got it and said she hasn’t really learnt how to use it. They all loved the pictures I showed them each night after our drives so was really happy when I said they could download any of my pics that they wanted.

Barb is 68 but is a ball of energy with such a zest for life. I would never have guessed that she was this age. When we hugged goodbye I told her I only hoped that I have this energy for life when I get to be her age. Marilyn and Louis will celebrated their 50th anniversary in a few months. I found them so inspiring because they look like they are still in love. Over dinner conversations we shared stories and I could see how he values family and marriage and how a man’s priority is always and forever his wife his words!). I remember our first game drive when Rex went off road to get to the lions. The bush was dense in some parts so as a result you have some small branches wacking right at you so you have to pay attention and duck out of the way at the right time. In some parts when the branches were hitting our way I saw Louis reach over to put his arms around his wife with his hands covering her head as to protect her. I thought it was incredibly sweet. So far most of the people I have met at the lodges seem to have one thing in common. An African safari had been on their bucket list for awhile so all were beyond thrilled to be here and also the experience far exceeded their expectations. I have to say I agree with them there!

Flight back to Joburg. was uneventful. I booked another night at the same guesthouse and had just enough time for some last minute shopping at the mall. I had planned to get gary a rugby shirt with the 2011 emblem on it. I saw so many when we were shopping a couple of weeks ago but could not find any today. Must have walked up and down the huge mall a few times to no avail. I’m convinced that they pulled them off the shelves when SA lost last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment