Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Third day on assignment

Assignment is very interesting so far. I could tell by the 1st day that this job is going to be fun. It takes me longer to write the reports but the topics are at least familiar. The days have been grueling so far. We start early in the morning and go back to our room after dinner to continue working. Next week will be much better. The people at the plant are very friendly. They are very shy about their english but I tell them it's much better than mine. It was fine for me since I had no trouble understanding what they are saying. I felt bad that they have to make special efforts to speak english when I am in the room. Last night we had dinner at an Italian restaurant around the corner. Stefan is always helpful with translating the menu for me but this time I told him I could manage since they also had italian on the menu. We talked about age and all three are 30 or younger. Oi vay, I felt old.

Our hotel in Bad Oeynhausen (20km from Porta) is nice but not fancy. Great breakfast. Crispy bread, cold cuts, cheeses, fresh fruits and yogurts. The germans love their nutella! I don't eat much cheese at home but love the local cheeses in europe.

I hate to say that I have become a coffee drinker. I never drink coffe at home because it upsets my stomach and it doesn't taste so good. The coffee here tastes much better and I am liking the custom of a cup of coffee after lunch to give you a boost for the rest of the afternoon. Today at lunch I told the group about employees in AZ have asked for a special area where they could take "cat naps" during their breaks. They had a good laugh and said they don't need a nap, just coffee.

Today we agreed to have a quick dinner at Burger King in order to get back to work. I told them I will only do this once in awhile since it's bad food! Stefan showed me how to eat fries with a small wooden fork. I thought it was funny, who needs to be dignified in a fast food place?!

No comments:

Post a Comment