Thursday, August 12, 2010

I've been assimilated!

One turning point today. I converted my laptop to the military time AND I've changed it to the european number format. I got tired of running reports and having to remember to change it to the european format which is the opposite of US format (commas for decimals and periods to represent thousands). No matter which country I am in, the rule is that we use the european format for numbers and dates. I did some powerpoint slides with figures today and gave to G to proof read. OMG I got so screwed up. I had commas where I should have had periods for some but not all numbers. It is REALLY hard to re-train your brain on something like this. At least I have gotten comfortable using the european date format, ie, today is 13.8.10.

Today at lunch I ate curry wurst for the first time. Last Friday we ordered our lunch for the week. It's such a strange set up. You get a menu with about 4 choices for each day. Each day they deliver the food at a certain time. They provide the company with a warming oven the size of a small fridge where the food is kept hot. I swear the hot dishes looked exactly like a tv dinner. It's a foil container separated by sections. By the second week we learned not to be too adventurous and stick to the salads which are not bad. We don't get any drinks and it always comes with a yogurt for desert. Ofcourse I don't want to be rude and always eat whatever's in front of me but there were days when I really didn't want to eat that yogurt. Anyway when we were ordering the food Guido saw they had curry wurst today and convinced me to order it. It's one of his favorite dish and he said it was very traditional food. I couldn't get my head around sausage in curry but decided what the hell. When we got it I realized it was like a hot dog in gravy sauce! There's a hint of curry but it's not like the curries I've had in Thai or Indian restaurants. Stefan thought I was brave to order this dish at the plant. He said if I liked it then he will take me to a much better place in Ddorf where they make really good curry wurst.

We had a great final meeting today with all involved and it went very well. Everyone felt good about the work we've done in the past two weeks. Afterwards Guido asked for feedback from the rest of our team on what we thought about this experience. I was so greatful that my first assignment was such a great experience. I learned so much more than if I started in the office. We complimented each other very well. Each brought a different strength to the table. Guido is only 28 but had a doctorate in supply chain. Emrah and Stefan each have masters degree. I was surrounded by very smart people! Each speak at least 3 languages and are so skilled. At least I felt useful helping them with english grammar when we are writing our report although our biggest argument was over the question of using a comma before the word "and" in a sentence. Stefan studied for year in Indiana so his english is very good (although I told him this doesn't count because it was in Indiana).

I was thinking that typically when I start a new job I at least get a few weeks to get situated. I learn locations of the bathroom, coffee room, order some office supplies, sit in meetings where I have no idea what's going on, and set up orientation meetings to meet people and gradually get up to speed. Well, that was NOT what I got with this job. First day was on an actual assignment. My team mates did not coddle me. Guido who is my "mentor/trainer" asked me from the beginning to take the lead in some of the interviews and write some to the chapters. Since he had no qualm asking me to do it I just did it. I am no where near their speed but catching on. Guido is so patient and is very good at training me. I feel so slow when I'm around them. He makes me do something on my own and then will give me feedback. I guess it comes from his experience at teaching some classes at the university, did I mention he's only 28?! I'm trying to picture some 28 year old guys in the states and think how far behind they are in maturity.

Today I did research on my next assignment in asia. As lead for this, I do all the upfront coordination and research. Not just about hkl company in that region but also about the country, the culture, the economy, the politics, and the history. I did not know that Taiwan was under Japanese rule from 1895 to WWII.

We were glad to be going back to DD today but wouldn't you know it, dinner at McDonalds on the way home!! OMG I am going to gain 10 pounds before I come back to Phx in October! We really didn't have a choice since there's nothing along the way. This has got to be the last time I eat at McD! AND I need to stop the coffee habit even though it tastes so good! When we met last Sunday at the office I noticed that there was an expresso machine in our little kitchen. Not good.
And they really like their carbonated water here. I like it but try not to drink too much because of the sodium content. I also have to get used to getting drinks at room temperature. You usually don't get ice in your sodas or water.

Going into the office tomorrow, I can't wait to meet the rest of my colleagues. I think on average at least a third of them are out on an assignment at any given point in time. The hkl campus is so big and confusing I have no idea how to get to my office. Megan was nice enough to walk with me to work tomorrow. This should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment