Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My first accident(minor) abroad!

Monday night we had just gotten back to the hotel and getting our laptop bags from the trunk. I must have laid my hand on the opened trunk for a few seconds while I figure out how to get onto the sidewalk when there's a row of bushes blocking the way. My colleage S- didn't notice this when he slammed the trunk door shut. My first thought wasn't pain but rather a detached thought that something didn't feel right. I was still thinking, did he just shut the door on my hand? S-was ofcourse was horrified and immediately rushed to me to grab my hand to see if it was alright. It really didn't feel extreme pain and was able to close and open my hand. Apparently it shut on the knuckle part of the pinky of my right hand because that was the part that hurt! All three colleagues were ofcourse concerned and kept asking if I need to go to the doctor and I kept insisting that it was fine because there was no blood and I could move my fingers.
G- ran into the restaurant next door and somehow got a bag of ice from them. S- wouldn't let me carry my laptop roll-on bag. I was a little embarrassed all the unneccessary attention. And E- observed the pandemonium with amusement and whispered to me that I could totally milk this for a long time. He was the only one that calmly asked if i was alright and once I said yes he shut up. I could see that S- was very upset about what happened even though I showed him that I could open and close my hand and was ok. It hurt like hell but I didn't want him to feel worse saying that. Meanwhile G was probably thinking, shit, my first gig as assignment leader and there's an on the job incident!

We had made plans to walk to the town center for dinner. We chose a spanish restaurant for tapas and it was so nice sitting outside enjoying a few drinks before dinner. It would have been perfect to order 2 tapas each but apparently there was a minimum of 3 per person. It was a little feast. One of the tapas I chose was grilled shrimp (gambas a la plancha) and I didn't realized it comes with the head on it. The guys weren't too keen on shrimp heads so needless to say I got the dish to myself! The whole night S- kept reminding me to keep my hand on the ice bag. I could seriously milk this for awhile! As it was, the next day, when I was trying to calm the guys down during a heated debate, I just turned to S- and announce that my hand hurt. He immediately shut up and started being concerned about me. It was so cool. I enjoyed it for a few seconds but had to tell him I was jesting. I did tell him that my husband wanted to see him when he comes to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment