Saturday, August 28, 2010

Gary is here!!

Finally my guy is here! I've missed him so much even though we've talked regularly. Things are more fun with him around.

G was arriving at 7:30am on Friday so I decided to do what the locals do and go to the airport by train. It's much cheaper than taxi and just as fast. Stefan who I now call my personal travel agent showed me exactly how to get there so I did ok.

I still had to go into work for a few important meetings so I left G at the apartment to unpack and get some rest. We went into the Altstaedt (Old Town) that night. I couldn't wait to show him the the Dusseldorf he saw last year when they dropped me off at hkl for a meeting was the ugliest part of the city. We walked around old town which had over 250 restaurants/bars in a very condensed area. I've only been here about 4-5 times but still discovering new things. We discovered a small alley that were lined with what must have been a dozen spanish restaurants. There was some live music and the heaters were out so that people could still dine outside in the cool weather. We chose a restaurant along the busier row and sat outside to people watch. It turned out to be a Chilean restaurant and our dinner was delicious. Gary got the salmon which was the one dish that he liked that I could not make ahead of time and freeze for him at home. It just wouldn't taste good to freeze and microwave. I had some yummy pork fillets on mustard sauce. I liked that they had a menu that was in german/spanish/english. Gary couldn't believe how lively the area was and I assured him it was quiet compared to a Saturday night. As we ate we watched people parade up and down the narrow alley. Sometimes you would see a group of revelers wearing themed clothes with party hats and holding a bottle of beer in their hand.

After dinner we walked along the Rhein River. It was a very different scene from last Friday when I was out with Juliana. At that time it was 80 degrees so all of the bars & restaurants that lined the riverfront were filled with poeple. Tonight it was in the low 60's so it was much more subdued.

I took G to the famous Urige brewery in old town. The brewery was on one side of the street with tables out on the sidewalk. However there were also the same set up on the other side with a narrow cobblestone street in between. On the edges there were small metal trays for people to set their beers. The waiters weave through the crowds with trays of Alt beers. The alt beer come in a small glass and only cost about $2.6 Euros. Rather than sit on one of the picnic tables G & I sat on the steps facing the street so we could people watch. We were lucky with the rain even though it was a cool night. After the beer I felt a little cold so we decided to look for a little cafe for some hot chocolate.

Close to Urige brewery we found a very cool cafe. G refers to it as the "pimp bar" because of the different rooms/lairs with couches and big pillows. The cafe is sunken a few feet below. Inside there were cushioned benches and comfy pillow all along the glass windows. It was called the Kas Bah and they serve alcohol along with coffees and teas. I got my latte machiano and G ordered a Baileys hot chocolate which was SO yummy! The place was so cozy and romantic. I told G the next time I wanted to sit upstairs in the room that looked like a harem. There were exotic looking furniture and pillows and it looked really cool. It was such a nice place to hang out and talk. After 12 years of being together we don't bother much with romance, but this place really brings it out. We will definitely come back.

It was midnight before we left old town. It's late for us but people are just starting their night out. The place was buzzing but we were glad to leave the partying to them. On the way out we passed a bar with some sexy girl pole dancing on a stage. What the heck?! The other bars were now turning into dance club. I've found that the later it is the louder the music. What a great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment