Monday, August 2, 2010

1st day cont'd

Found a little bakery on my morning walk so ofcourse I stopped in to pick up a fresh baguette. Very happy with this find since everyone warned me that everything is closed on Sunday. On top of that a few doors down was a small florist shop so I bought some fresh cut sunflowers to brighten up the apartment.

I met Megan for dinner. She showed me how to use the tram/subway when we used it to get to Altadt (old town DD). What a difference to the mellow neighborhood of the apartment. It was a bustling area of shops and restaurants. WIth the nice weather everyone was sitting outside and people watching. Megan warned me that this area gets crazy on Saturday nights with party groups. I will have to come back when I'm in town for the weekend. We found a nice french restaurant in the area. I ordered the day's special even though I wasn't sure what it was. There was a 50/50 chance I would like it so what the hey. It was a whole long description in german but what I got was a salad with chicken. Not bad but not great. That will teach me to be adventurous.

Got back just in time to meet my colleagues at 8pm for the drive up to Porta, a small town 2.5 hours north of DD. A group of 3 young guys. Very nice but very different in personalities. We had fun getting to know each other. Two from germany and one from Turkey. Emrah just got back from the mandatory military service. I remember learning about this and always thought it would be a good thing if we had this law in the US. The whole ride up we made fun of stefan who had points against him from a previous ticket and could not afford to get a ticket, so he barely drove above speed limit. 1st day of work tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment