Thursday, March 10, 2011

Shopping with a local





Sunday, March 6
When I told my colleagues what I paid for some things I bought the first weekend they just laughed and said I paid too much. I also told them I had a hard time finding a place that sold men's traditional clothes. Madhuri offered to take me shopping where I can find what I needed for cheaper prices. I'm no dummy so ofcourse I took her up on it! Madhuri picked me up at the hotel in one of the motor rickshaw, which I really love, so much more fun than a boring taxi. We rode through town, away from the nice touristy hotels to an older neighborhood. Let's put it this way, throughout our time I did not see one foreigner. Since Madhuri was with me I really enjoyed walking around the streets. It was also nice to have her as translator. In each shop she would speak to the people in Marathi (their local language in this region) and suddenly I have what I wanted. First we stopped at a shop where we bought some casual indian clothes for Gary. Then we walked to an area of local shops where I bought some scarves for gifts. Damn, the scarves I bought last weekend were 4 times as much! We stopped to get some uncooked papads that I could take home. During the lunches at the plant they noticed how much I enjoyed eating the fresh baked papads and so they made sure Madhuri took me to a place where I could buy some to take home. Finally we went to a nice shop where they sell fancy traditional outfits for men. Some were so intricate and beautiful and went for 500 dollars. I think they were more for weddings .I decided on a less fancy one for gary but it was still very beautiful. The shopkeeper must have taken out a dozen sample to show me. It was a lot of fun to see them all. I have no idea if Gary will ever have an occasion to wear this but I wanted him to have something beautiful. We will just have to find some indian friends at home, or else crash in on an indian wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment