Saturday, March 12, 2011

Agakhan Palace









Saturday, March 12
I had a free day today so a day tour around Pune sounded like a good idea. I had asked the hotel concierge to give me some info on group tours bu the offered up one of their drivers to take me around for a half day for only $24. Turned out to be a great deal. My driver Hemant was so great! Each place we went to he would walk with me to buy my tickets, act as interpreter and would try his best to be a guide. His english was not so great but good enough to get the point across.
We started out at 9 in the morning so early enough to enjoy the cool temp. First place was Agakhan Palace which is know for the place of internment for Ghandi, his wife and his personal secretary. They were kept prisoner for almost 2 years back in 1943. His wife and secretary died here during that time so they buried Ghandi here as well. The grounds were beautiful with huge banon trees. The museum was nice and simple. I was the only one there for the first half hour. I saw the place where they kept the ashes of Ghandi and his wife. It was interesting to read about his endless energy and dedication to bring about human equality. The guy looked like he weighed 60 lbs, he looked fragile. I'll have to watch that movie with Ben Kingsley when I get back.
It was cool to walk around the peaceful gardens with the birds chirping and the sounds of the sweepers in the background. The sweepers here use a big broom made of big long branches so they make a scratching sound.
And now we move on the the fort in old Pune....



No comments:

Post a Comment