Tuesday, November 30, 2010

View of frozen coastline from plane-not a good sign!

Note to self, don't use weather.com when preparing for travel abroad! I packed for weather in the 20's (as if this wasn't cold enough) and I am going to be in zero or below! All last week Laszlo never fails to stop by to tell me how cold it's going to be in estonia. At first it's in the teens, OK. Then with each update it gets lower and into single digits and snow. Great! I wanted to buy clothes but gambled that I will managed and buy it when in estonia. It would be cheaper and I don't have to lug it there.

Let me just say that the first sight of a frozen sea brought home the fact that I am going to freeze my ass off in the next few weeks. My friends at home wouldn't believe me when I told them that the sea in the area do freeze and that the ferry to finland are less frequent because of the frozen sea. They break open one lane for ferries in the winter. I just thought that it wouldn't happen while I was there since it was relatively early in the winter! I learned later that the temps are 20 degrees below normal. Why me? It was actually -20C which is -4 F!! I can't believe that I would be greatful for 20 degree weather but that would be tropical right about now!

THe other thing to tell me that I wasn't in phoenix anymore - it took us 1 1/2 hours to get out of the rental car parking lot - we had to dig the car out from the snow! Well ok, Laszlo shoveled snow and I took pictures! It was funny but when we were done with the paperwork in the rental office at the Tallinn airport, the kid offered to help us with our suitcases. We both said no because it was no big deal. Ok now, try to drag a big suitcase AND a laptop roller bag in a walkway that was 1 1/2 feet wide and packed with snow. On either side is a foot of snow. If you've done the math, it's almost impossible. It was so funny. It was maybe 500 yards from the rental office to the parking lot but it took us 20 minutes to get there. Laszlo couldn't even help me because he was struggling himself. I was cussing out the kid who seemed to disappear. Later I found out he had to worry about getting snow shovels to get the car out! Yes, life of an auditor is not all glamorous.

Once on the road in our mercedes Laszlo couldn't stop mentioning the weather readings in the car. It was fluctuating from zero to minus 4. Thank god for seat warmer! We got to Parnu by 9:30 Sunday night. Even though our hotel was near the beach I don't think walking on the beach will be on the agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment