Sunday, November 28, 2010

Typical friday night in ddorf

Thursday Nov 26



Had dinner with Tarak an old colleague who just started an expat assignment in DDorf. He's been in germany for almost a month without his family so he was glad for some company. He picked me up at my office in a leased mercedes, how nice was that? He was driving around the city like a pro. I've been so used to taking the U-bahn so experiencing traffic on the road was different. I picked a restaurant in Altstaedt that was known for mussels and also serving the biggest schnitztel - Marie Benders. I ordered the mussels, yum, and Tarak got the schnitzel which literally covered the whole of his plate! More surprisingly, he finished most of it. Tarak is excited about his assignment. He and his wife have a 2 year old with another on the way. I think he will do well here. Funny but we talked more than the 6 months I worked with him on a project. He said that next time I am in Ddorf they will have me at the house for an Indian dinner. Tarak is Indian but has a perfect american accent, that is very rare!



Later that night I took the Ubahn to Oberkassel, which is a nice neighborhood northwest of Altstaedt. Came over to Juliana's apartment to pick up my laundry. She was sweet to offer to do my laundry for me while I was out for dinner with Tarak. What I didn't realize was that she did not have a dryer, she just air dry her clothes. Apparently it's normal here. It was a good excuse to have a glass of wine and chat while my clothes were dry enough to take home. I felt like a local hanging out at my friend's flat!

No comments:

Post a Comment