Monday, November 29, 2010

Glühwein at the Altstaedt Xmas market!

Saturday night Nov 27

I woke up to snow outside my window! It's really winter I guess. I'm trying to ignore Laszlo's emails about it being 4 degrees in Estonia right now.

Met a group from my department in Altstaedt, we have a date with a couple of glühwein! This is a german tradition once the weather turns cold. It's typically red wine with spices (cinamon and...) served in glass mugs. Marietta & I got started first and eventually joined by Rafael, Vesselin and Julianna. It was a mob scene but somehow we found a nice spot in front of the gluhwein stand. I alternated between gluhwein and hot chocolate. You really can't drink it too slowly because it will get cold! J just got her new camera (that I bought for her) and we were taking lots of practice pics. We were also singing lots of american drinking songs, news for me. Once again Ves loved singling Last Christmas because he thought George Micheal is the greatest. Ves and Marietta tried to teach me a Bulgarian drinking song, something about 10 Bulgarians on the wall, 1 got arrested for tax evasion and now there's nine...they were so funny! Rafael talked me into trying a Krakauer which is like a bratwurst but looked more like a hot dog. Again, there hot dogs are a foot long with only 4 inches of bun! We walked around to experience other foods such as roasted chestnuts and roasted almonds. After 5 hours of being outside even gluhwein couldn't keep us warm so we moved the party inside a bar. Chill out was a cool club and we moved on to cocktails. Since when did I start drinking? Maybe it was the cold that made me more tolerant of alhocol!

It was near midnight and I hated to leave but I so needed to pack for my flight in the morning. We made a date to go dancing after the dept xmas party when I get back to germany in 3 weeks after my audit. Apparently it's tradition that after our dept xmas we all go dancing in a discotec.

No comments:

Post a Comment