Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kenny Rogers, KC & Sunshine Band? Who knew?

It's been surprising to learn what kind of american music my colleagues like. At the dinner party on Sunday Romina said she liked Kenny Rogers, the others also piped in that they liked him too. At first I thought they were joking or at least had him mixed up with someone else. Is there a new pop singer that decided to call himself kenny rogers, i.e Brayan Adams? I mean, the average age of this group of friends was 30 so I didn't think they would know who Kenny Rogers was. Until, they started to sing some of his songs. By the time I heard You Decorated My Life I knew we were talking about the same person. They didn't understand why I was laughing at them! Actually Romina like all country music. They all like country music!

Yesterday was Vesselin birthday and as with german tradition it was up to him to organize a celebration. Most would prepare breakfast but Vesselin decided on drinks after work. Vesselin is from Bulgaria and has lived in germany for most of his life. He spent the last 2 years in Moscow and is now back in DDorf with our department. All night he kept singing songs from KC and the Sunshine band and declared them the greatest band ever! Really? His english is quite good and sometimes he surprises me with a funny american slang. He then proudly claims that he learned much of his english watching Beavis & Butthead. Really?

Our celebration was in a nice pub (Schlander) a few blocks from work. I ordered the Glühwien to try. This is the hot wine that people drink in the winter time. Mine came in a coffee cup. It sounded strange but actually tasted really good! I felt it with only a few sips so I thought best to wait until dinner comes. Juliana ordered dinner that we were going to share. It was fun to try new german food. Totally forgot what it was called but our dinner came in a small skillet with fried potatoes as the bottom layer, then ham, then spinach, then an egg omellette mixture. It was topped with 2 sunny side up eggs. It was very hearty and on the heavy side and I could barely eat half of a portion. It was a fun night and I was glad for a chance to get to know more of my colleagues. Most of the group were young and single and somehow during the night they started to ask me for advice about relationships. Boy, did I feel old!

No comments:

Post a Comment