Monday, June 20, 2011

Paris - a nice bowl of beef noodle soup!




I think when I am traveling vietnamese food becomes comfort food for me. That's why it was so great to be in the area where there were plenty of good vietnamese restaurants. It's packed full of vietnamese so I knew it was authentic as can be.


On Saturday I stopped in a restaurant for a bowl of bun bo hue which is a beef noodle soup from the central region of vietnam. It's one of my favorite dish and I was doubtful anyone anyone could top the way my sister makes it. Hell, when I come home to visit my sister would make it especially for and I would take home frozen portion for the plane! I have to say this was a very close second! It even came with the pigs feet! The vegies that came with it even included shavings from banana blossoms. It was so good and really hit the spot!


The restaurant was very crowded and I later shared a table with an older couple around my parents age. We eventually started talking and it turned out the husband came from the same town where I was born! They were so nice and reminded me so much of my parents. The wife kept telling me several times how cute I was. No, I'm too old to look cute, she was referring more to my manners and the way I spoke the language. They had a son my age and said he did not speak the language as well as I did. There was a chance that the husband knew my dad since he was in the army as well. After the fall of the country he was imprisoned for 9 years before escaping to france. He gave me a magazine to take home to my dad and wanted my dad to contact him so they could talk. The magazine featured him and the story of how he is involved with helping old war veterans of vietnam. Anyway, they were asking how long I am in paris and would have invited me to their home for a meal but I was meeting my colleagues later in the day. She told me that the next time I am in paris I have a place to stay at their house. That made me all warm inside. It was a really pleasant meal. I thought it was lovely to observe them and thought even though they are elderly age they are still a little romantic and thoughtful to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment