Sunday, January 9, 2011

The city enveloped in fog..




Sunday Jan 9

I arrived in Delhi Saturdayt night with the city enshrouded in fog. It took an hour to connect with the driver from the hotel, it was pretty frustrating, all he could say was "gate 3" which was not where I was. When I tried to call the hotel I could only understand half of what the guy was telling me! Anyway, it was about 30 minute drive but scary. The fog was so thick you can only see 20 feet away from you. I can understand why all the drivers have their emergency blinkers on, the more other drivers can see the better.
Our hotel - the Lemon Tree -is in Gurgaon, a suburb of Delhi. It's in the middle of an industrial area but I didn't venture out, at least not until Laszlo & Bea arrive Sunday morning from germany. There are guards in front of the hotel and my luggage had to go through an xray machine just like the airport. Uh oh, what the heck does this mean?
As suspected, I could not sleep at all last night since it was daytime in Phx. Watched several movies and read a book, to no avail. Funny but there was a channel that had marathon shows like two and a half men (my favorite sitcom), friends and the simpson. THere were a few other movie channels. These channels were in english but they also subtitled it in english! I remember that back home sometimes when I watch a show and when an indian is talking english they also subtitled it in english. Since was good since I can't understand their accent. Well, I guess it's the same the other way around! Finally at 8am I was able to snooze for a couple of hours. Frustrating but all part of traveling to such a different time zone.
Hooked up with Laszlo and Bea in the afternoon. We intended to walk to a nearby ATM and super market to buy snacks and cokes. The walk was only 100 yards but we were beseiged by little poor children begging for money. I did not like that at all. It was so sad to see them so poor and pathetic looking but we were told that if you give to one you will be swarmed so we had to be careful. Besides, none of us had small change in our pocket. They were very persistent and followed us the whole way chanting in hindi. It was stressful to me. The market was crowded but we managed with what we wanted. I bought an american brand potato chips (Lays) but at least it was a local flavor - Magic Marsala.
Bea decided to not join us for dinner, Laszlo told me later that she is very scare of getting sick so she does not want to eat while she is here. Let's see how long that lasts! I will take precautions but won't deprive myself of the delicious food! I was hesitant to walk to a nearby restaurant which our hotel recommended because I was afraid of the beggar children. Turns out it was only 50 yards away. It was dark by now and you can see scattered around the surrounding empty lots and parking lots there were small groups of men sitting around a bonfire. It gets into the 40's at night so I guess it's a way to keep warm, assuming that they are homeless. We passed a food court type restaurant and parked in the street in front is a camel! ok, I am definitely not in Kansas anymore. Strange but the beggar children were no where to be found. Maybe they go home once it gets dark. Good to know!
Our restaurant - Pind Baluchi - was not opening for another hour but the guy said that on the side of the building is another restaurant, we could see a sign for Park Baluchi Restaurant. Since the walkway to the side and back of the building was deserted, dark and foggy I was expecting any moment to be mugged by some guys hiding in the bushes. Whenever we start to look confused on which way to go there would suddenly be someone behind us to point us in the right direction. weird! After walking up some winding iron stairs we walked into a very nice looking restaurant. Both Laszlo & I ordered the Lohr Tandoori Murg chicken which was not the typical red colored tandoori chicken I have had at home. As sides we ordered lentil, basmati rice and a potato kabob. When I saw them come out with the potato kabob in flames I knew we were in for a good meal. I will post the picture when Laszlo forwards it to me but the potato was stuffed with cheese and spinach and rolled in sesame into a shape of a big marshmellow. It was so cool. All of our dishes were delicious. I was tempted to try the mint sauce to go with the food but held off since it looked to be yogurt based. Even though this looked to be a reputable restaurant I will wait a week before I get too adventous! Laszlo tried it and loved it but I'll see if he will be ok!After our meal the chef came by to ask how our meal was and was pleased with the way we praised the food. This was literally next to our hotel (and a short run should the beggar children show up) so for sure we will come back. Can't wait to try more food.
Our audit starts tomorrow and I am hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment