Monday, December 20, 2010

Goodbye Estonia, hope to come again






What a lovely country this is. Even though it was mostly work I did have a chance to see some of the country and experienced the lovely people and cuisine. The second week was mostly work and it was just as well since there were several storms that hit the country. For most days I could see snow blowing sideways and it took some bundling up before we could go outside. The country got so much snow and not warm enough to melt so by the last week they had to load the snow in trucks to dump into the ocean. All the roads and sidewalks were snow packed with a layer of ice underneath. I always had to walk very carefully to not slip and crack my head! Taxis would not go into some parts of old town because the snow was too deep. This is normal for the people here I think. They continue to go about their daily activities. Did I mention that there's a lot of fur walking around Tallinn. Forget fleece, you need dead animal to keep you warm in this weather! It sure didn't stop the Finns from coming over on the ferry on the weekends to have their drinking binge. It's a crazy scene. By this time me and the guys have dubbed them FDFs (f@&*^ drunken finns!).

I would love to come back here during the summer, I am sure the city takes on another kind of beauty. For such a small country they take pride in culture as there are many theatres for operas, music and such.

The day before our final meeting the CEO of the region took us to a fantastic restaurant called Restoran O. Sirje says it is the best restaurant in Tallinn so we were honored. We all got the tasting menu which consisted of 8 courses of very small sample size dishes. It was estonian food with a modern flair and so delicious. With each course there was a special wine that went with it. Towards the end I was a little wasted. In the picture you can see all the wine glasses by me because I could not finish any one glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment