Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Things I will miss....

Things I will miss when leaving Germany

- the fantastic bakeries. Seriously, there's at least one bakery in every corner! I only buy what I want for the day, it's going to be hard going back to packaged baked goods! The bread is SO GOOD!

- my 25 minute walk to work. It's a great way to unwind and listen to my ipod while burning calories!

- the day to day interactions with my department colleagues. I haven't blended so well with a group of co-workers since my time with redken 20 years ago. Everyone is so nice and helpful and interested about me as I am interested about them. We work very hard but I have so much fun with them. It's crazy but I actually look forward to coming into work and seeing everyone.

- easy access to traveling to surrounding cities and countries. The trains are so easy to use here.

- Altstaedt (Old Town) - such a great place to hang out to eat, drink or just to walk along the river. It a place where tourists and locals go to. You can find any kind of restaurants you want. You can't help but get caught up in the festive mood.

- opportunities to practice my very poor german. Even if I don'tt speak it, it's still good to hear it spoken. I am not so intimidated by it anymore!

- the lunch routine at work. Everyday around noon we start to walk down the hallway to collect each other for the 5 minute walk to one of the cafeterias. If someone's office door is closed then we know they are not there or could not join. We have fun conversations during this time and I get to hear all the gossips! Even more interesting are the different perspectives whenever we talk about a certain political or cultural topics. The reason is the various ethnic origins within our group. Maybe more than half of our department (total of about 25 people) are german but the other half are made of bulgaria, hungary, turkey, kenya, el salvador, brazil, china, russia, spain and ofcourse me from the united states!



No comments:

Post a Comment